Admission and Language Criteria
Application period 2014 is 2 December 2013 - 31 January 2014 16:15 Finnish time (GTM +2). The language test deadline is 28 February 2014.
General admission criteria
Successful applicants should hold a Bachelor’s degree from a university fulfilling the following requirements:
- The university must be an official and recognized part of the national education system.
- The university has to be found on an official list or in an international handbook that is completed by an international organization (e.g. UNESCO)
The applicants must hold a degree in the same or relevant field; the programme applied for will make the final decision on the suitability of the previous degree.
Applicants must meet one of the following requirements:
- They should hold an international Bachelor's degree or 3/5 of a Master's degree completed
- The degree must be equivalent to a Bachelor's degree (Kandidatexamen) according to Nordic countries regulations which includes 3 years/180 credits (full time studies) at a minimum
- Applicants who are currently enrolled in long educational programmes with no intermediate Bachelor’s degree expect to have completed at least 80% (i.e. four of five years) of a full Master's Programme.
- Applicants who are currently enrolled in long educational programmes with no intermediate Bachelor’s degree in a Nordic Country expect to have completed at least 3 years out of 5 of a full Master's Programme.
- Students in their final year of the Bachelor's degree are eligible to apply, provided they complete their Bachelor's degree by 31 July 2014.
Programme specific admission criteria:
A Bachelor’s degree of 180 ECTS in science (B.Sc.) or engineering (B.Eng.) or documented equivalent studies in mathematics and applied sciences such as physics.The degree must be a degree of at least three years of full-time study.
The programme does not accept applicants applying on the grounds of a degree from a university of applied sciences
The applicant should have solid knowledge of the following subjects:
- vector calculus
- linear algebra
- ordinary differential equations
- numerical analysis
- probability or statistics.
In addition, a basic understanding of partial differential equations and knowledge and experience of a higher programming language are required.
Success in GRE General, GRE Mathematics or GMAT tests is considered a merit.
The applicants must have an excellent command of English and they must present an official language test report. The acceptable tests are TOEFL, IELTS and Pearson PTE Academic test. No other English proficiency tests are accepted.
When filling the online application form, the test date and the test scores have to be filled in, if they are already available. The results are valid for two years. The language test result has to be valid during the application period. That means that the test result has to be valid at least on the first day of the application period. Please note that the ETS does not send TOEFL test results after they have expired.
If the test result (total/writing) is lower than the minimum scores below, the application will not be be processed.
If the language test is taken after submitting the application package, please notify us by e-mail master-n5team [at] aalto [dot] fi (send a copy of your result). Of course, with the TOEFL test, the official score report needs to be ordered from the ETS.
The language test report has to arrive at the admissions office by the language test deadline 28 February 2014.
Acceptable language tests and their minimum scores:
Paper-based: 580 (written section grade 4,5)
Internet-based test: 92 (written section grade 22)
When you take the TOEFL test, you need to order the official test report to be sent directly to Aalto University, reporting code 7364 as soon as the score is available. Only this official score report submitted by ETS is accepted. In addition, you can enclose a copy of the test result in your application if available.
More information on TOEFL.
6.5, no section lower than 5.5
Only Academic IELTS test accepted.
When you take the IELTS, enclose a copy of the result to your application package. The IELTS test result can be verified officially by Aalto University at a service offered by the testing authorities.
More information on IELTS.
Pearson PTE Academic (English B) test:
Total grade 62 (written section grade 61)
More information on Pearson PTE Academic test
English language test exemptions:
- Applicants who have completed a university degree instructed in English at a university that is physically located in one of the following countries: USA, Canada, UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand.
- Applicants who have completed at least a 3-year degree instructed in English in an EU/EEA country. Please enclose a relevant certificate of language of instruction (e.g. diploma supplement) from your university with the application.
- Applicants with upper secondary education and a Bachelor's degree (issued or ongoing if the applicant is currently enrolled in the last semester) from a Nordic country may be exempted from an additional English test. Please include the school leaving certificate of your upper secondary education into your application package.